With scientists, not denialists.
Last fall the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change - The IPCC -
"Limiting global warming to 1.5°C will require rapid, far-reaching and unprecedented changes in all aspects of society."
How did CNN deal with this news?
They gave a platform to the climate denialists to spew their anti-science misinformation, spin, and lies to try to delegitimize the IPCC report.
What are the reasons for this atrocious programming?
A big ad buy by CNN’s fossil fuel sponsors reminds CNN who is calling the shots. The fossil fuel companies know they can force CNN to give airtime to any denier they choose, because:
They can pull their ads: which they will do any time they don’t like climate coverage that threatens their profits.
Which means they can shut down all true (that is: anti-fossil fuel) climate reporting on CNN, which they have done. There has been essentially no climate coverage on CNN since that report.
To force or coerce into a particular action, statement, etc. by intimidation.
We sort of sympathize with CNN about the blackmail.
Except we don't.
Sign the Petition
We demand that CNN's management show some backbone and stop allowing the oil companies to coerce (extort) them into climate denial programming and into making B.S. statements like this:
“Climate change is one of those stories that deserves more attention... but ... there is a lack of interest on the audience’s part.”
- Jeff Zucker, Pres. CNN worldwide.
This is a big old self-serving CYA whopper. It's just flat not true. Check out these recent headlines (not covered by CNN).
Not interesting?! You decide.
The fossil fuel industry frowned upon these stories, so CNN said, "Right. No coverage. You got it, boss."
Management is letting the oil companies control the climate news coverage at CNN.
We want that to stop, now.
We the undersigned demand coverage of the climate crisis on CNN by climate advocates, writers and scientists; not by oil company stooges.
Sign the Petition
Here is what we want:
At least 30 minutes of climate coverage throughout a daily 15-hour period that starts at 9 AM and ends at 12 PM EST.
The coverage must be comprised of:
1) Interviews and commentary from climate advocates, activists and writers on:
- The root cause of the climate crisis.
- Measures that are being taken to combat or ameliorate the climate crisis.
- Where the attempts to thwart measures that deal with the climate crisis originate.
- What concerned citizens can do to fight the climate crisis.
2) Stories/coverage from around the world on events, responses and actions by individuals or groups who are affected by and are taking action in response to the climate crisis.
3) Stories/coverage of the worldwide Climate Denialist movement: who are the main promoters; who funds them.
4) The history and causes of the recalcitrance in the U.S. Senate to address the climate crisis legislatively.
Here’s what we don’t want:
We don’t want BothSiderism or Magnified Minority or False Equivalence (that trusty media favorite: “Equal time for Competing Views Even if One is False”) in your reporting or interviews.
All guests must be qualified climate scientists, writers or advocates. Here are lists from which to choose.
There can be no interviews, quotes, or references from anyone who has recieved money or other emoluments from any branch of the fossil fuel industry. See the list of unacceptable operatives.
We want this coverage to start upon the receipt of this petition and continue indefinitely.
Concerned Citizens Who Are Fed Up
with CNN’s lack of climate coverage
Sign the Petition